Yes, it is still being made today.The Author
Club Aluminum is a brand of cast aluminum cookware that comes in a variety of colors and sizes.
It has been around for more than 100 years since it was first manufactured in the early 1900s by the Club Aluminum Company.
Since then, it has only improved its quality.
From stainless steel to copper to cast iron and everything in between, there’s no shortage of options when you’re looking for pots and pans.
But there’s one type of cookware that stands out from the rest; cast aluminum cookware.
If you are a lover of vintage things and love digging up old treasures, then you might have heard of cast aluminum cookware before.
It was very popular in the past but has not been used as much recently. However, it is making a massive comeback as people become more eco-conscious.
Club Aluminum’s history
Club Aluminum was first manufactured in 1903 by the Club Aluminum Company which was founded by Charles Martin Hall, who is credited for discovering the process of refining aluminum from bauxite ore.
He later sold his patent to Alcoa which became one of the biggest aluminum manufacturers in the world today.
Charles Martin Hall’s Process for Refining Bauxite Ore The original formula used by Club Aluminum was developed by Charles Martin Hall, who discovered a process to cheaply refine bauxite ore into aluminum oxide back in 1886.
He eventually sold his patent to Alcoa, one of the biggest aluminum manufacturers today.
Bauxite ore contains large amounts of alumina (Al2O3), which is an aluminum oxide compound that can be easily extracted from bauxite ore and refined into pure aluminum oxide (Al2O3) crystals through electrolysis at very low temperatures and pressures.
The process used by Alcoa and other companies to refine alumina into pure aluminum is called the Hall-Héroult process or Bayer process after its two inventors Karl Josef Bayer and Carl Schloemann who refined this method independently from Charles Martin Hall.
What Is Cast Aluminum Cookware?
Cast aluminum cookware is pots and pans made from solid aluminum that has been melted and poured into a mold.
It is not the same as aluminum pots and pans that are formed by rolling or pressing sheets of aluminum together, which are used for baking trays and foil.
Aluminum is one of the most common elements on the planet and can be recycled over and over again.
It is also the most eco-friendly metal used to make cookware. Cast aluminum pots and pans are very durable and last for a long time.
They are also very inexpensive, easy to clean, and conduct heat very well.
Why Should You Use Cast Aluminum Cookware?
- Easy to Clean – Cast aluminum cookware is super easy to clean. You can wash it by hand or throw it in the dishwasher.
- Affordable – Cast aluminum cookware is very affordable compared to other types of cookware.
- Safe to Use – Cast aluminum cookware does not leach chemicals or toxins like other cookware. You can safely use it with foods that are sensitive to other pots and pans like tomatoes or rice.
- Lightweight – Unlike stainless steel pots and pans, cast aluminum is much lighter and easier to handle.
- Versatile – You can use cast aluminum for a wide array of cooking techniques including sautéing, frying, baking, and broiling.
- Durable – Cast aluminum is very durable and will last you a long time.
- Good for All Cooking Methods – You can use cast aluminum for all cooking methods including boiling, searing, frying, and baking.
- Tends to Scratch – Cast aluminum is a softer material, and therefore, it is more prone to scratching. Make sure to use the proper utensils when handling cast aluminum pots and pans.
- Less Energy Efficient – Compared to other types of pots and pans, cast aluminum is less energy efficient.
- Cannot be used on the Stove-Top – One thing to keep in mind when using cast aluminum is that it cannot be placed on the stove-top. It can only be used for oven-type cooking.
Why is Cast Aluminum Cookware Becoming Popular Again?
There are many reasons why cast aluminum cookware is making a comeback. First, it is very affordable and won’t break the bank.
Another reason is that it is lightweight and easy to maneuver around your kitchen.
But perhaps the most important reason is that it is 100% recyclable and eco-friendly. While stainless steel is also very durable, it is a much more expensive option.
Cast aluminum cookware is also easy to clean and is a great option if you have children or are living with someone who may be prone to burning food.
Other Things to Consider Before Buying
Before you go out and buy a cast aluminum set, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
If you have a gas stove, aluminum pots and pans may not be a good option for you. Alternatively, you can always use stainless steel or cast iron.
If you have a glass stove top, you need to make sure the bottoms of your cast aluminum pots and pans are magnetic.
If the bottoms are not magnetic, they will scratch the surface of your cooktop.
How to Find and Identify Cast Aluminum Cookware
Cast aluminum pots and pans have a thick, heavy bottom that is usually dark in color.
They do not have a non-stick coating like the ones you find today, so expect to use more oil when cooking.
Cast aluminum cookware also tends to be a bit heavier than other types of cookware.
You can identify cast aluminum cookware by the Logo “Alcoa” printed on the bottom of the pan.
Another way to identify cast aluminum cookware is to look for signs of wear and tear.
Cast aluminum pots and pans age with use and will become discolored over time.
They also develop a scratch-like pattern that is usually darker than the rest of the pan.
Cast aluminum cookware is one of the most affordable, eco-friendly options on the market.
If you are looking for lightweight, easy-to-clean pots and pans that won’t break the bank, cast aluminum is the way to go.
However, if you have a glass stove top, you need to make sure the bottoms of your cast aluminum pots and pans are magnetic.
If they are not, they will scratch the surface of your cooktop.
No matter what type of cookware you choose, it is important to clean and maintain it.
This will extend the life of your pots and pans and keep them in great condition for many years to come!