Calphalon pan sticking: what to do
Eggs stuck to my Calphalon One first time I used it!
Overheating makes the non-stick layer of the Calphalon pot or pan weak resulting in sticking. In this case overheating should be avoided to prevent sticking. To remove stains from sticking pans, use a soft sponge, warm water, and mild soap.The Author
Calphalon is a cookware brand everyone wishes to have in their kitchen, the chefs cherish it because of its non-stick pans and its reputation for quality products.
Calphalon is a brand that has several exotic and non-stick pans; improper care and maintenance can make it become sticky like overheating, corrosion and scratch
What is Calphalon cookware?
Calphalon cookware is a brand well known, its non-stick surface makes it non-stick.
This aluminum cookware becomes harder, corrosion, and scratch-resistant thanks to the process it goes through to oxidize the surface; the process whereby it is dipped into chemical and electric pulses applied to make it tougher and abrasion resistant.
What exactly could be the cause of the sticking Calphalon pan?
Calphalon cookware is of high quality and very popular for being tough and non-stick.
It is hard-anodized cookware that is safe and corrosion free.
However it can become a sticking cookware if not properly handled, this article will give an all-encompassing cause of sticking Calphalon pan and how to make it non-stick again.
Use of metal utensils
The use of metal utensils can scratch the surface of the pan peeling away the non-stick layer of the Calphalon.
When the non-stick coat peels off, the pan will begin to stick. Wooden or plastic utensils are advisable.
Another common cause of pan sticking is overheating. When a pan starts sticking it could be a result of overheating when cooking.
Overheating makes the non-stick layer of the pot or pan weak resulting in sticking. In this case overheating should be avoided to prevent sticking.
Long time usage
Calphalon non-stick pot or pan can begin to deteriorate due to long time use.
The non-stick layer begins to peel off making the pan difficult to use because it could be peeling off into food and heating food unevenly.
In such situation, the pan or pot can be resurfaced to prevent further peeling.
Use of metal sponge and cold water
It is an important thing to do after cooking, Calphalon cookware should be washed by hand preferably using a soft sponge and lukewarm water.
The use of cold water and a stiff sponge on Calphalon pans and pots during dishwashing can make sticking occur.
How to remove stains from Calphalon sticking pans
Calphalon because of its hard-anodized surface is very easy to wash. Removing stains is not an issue at all.
Hand washing is better than using a dishwasher, hand washing protects the non-stick layer by gently removing the stains on the pan or pot.
Using a soft sponge, warm water, and mild soap, stains on the Calphalon pan or pot will be gently and perfectly removed leaving the cookware clean and stain-free.
Steps to follow:
- Pour warm water into the pan to rinse it and remove stuck food.
- Hand washes the surface instead of the dishwasher.
- Use the soft sponge and mild soap to wash the surface of the pan.
- Rinse properly
- Air dry or dry with a clean absorbent towel
How to remove burnt stains on a Calphalon cookware
Burnt Calphalon cookware can be daunting and difficult to clean, below are ways the stains can be removed, leaving it sparkling again.
The following can be used to clean the dry and crusted burnt pan:
Warm water, baking soda, white vinegar, mild soap, dish brush, salt, and lemon
Washing with baking soda
Baking soda is known to be a very good and effective cleaning agent, it can be used to clean a burnt calphalon pan. This is done by
- Making a paste with warm water and baking soda
- Apply evenly on the burnt pan
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes to an hour
- Scrub gently with the dish brush
- Rinse thoroughly in running water.
Use of salt and lemon
- Measure salt of about 2 teaspoons and mix with lemon juice of about 1.5teaspoons and mix
- Apply to the burnt portion of the pan
- Leave in for 30 to 50 minutes
- Scrub gently with the soft brush
- Rinse thoroughly.
Use of white vinegar
White vinegar and water solution is another effective solution used in washing a burnt Calphalon pan in the following steps-
- Mix water and white vinegar in equal portions thoroughly
- Pour the solution into the burnt Calphalon pan and put it on a low flame stove till it starts boiling.
- After boiling for some time, allow to rest for some time.
- Remove the solution and scrub the burnt portion with a soft brush
- Rinse in running water very well.
How to maintain a Calphalon cookware to prevent sticking
Calphalon cookware is hard-anodized cookware that is non-stick, improper maintenance and care can make a Calphalon pan stick.
The lifespan of the cookware can be extended by taking certain basic steps in maintaining the cookware.
To avoid sticking issues, take the following steps-
- Allow the pan to cool down before washing after cooking
- warm water should be used for washing Calphalon cookware always.
- Plastic or wooden utensils should be used against metal utensils which can scratch the non-stick surface of the pan.
- Don’t store food in the Calphalon pan overnight especially acidic foods
- Avoid cutting food in the pan, it can cause scratches.
Resurfacing sticking Calphalon non-stick cookware
Whatever is the cause of the issue of sticking of a Calphalon pan, or the peeling of the non-stick surface, the intriguing thing is it can be resurfaced.
Below are steps on how to resurface a sticking Calphalon pan:
- The oven should be preheated to 400- 550degrees.
- Wash the pan using a soft sponge and mild dish soap
- Rinse in cool water and allow to air dry or dry with a towel.
- Spray the damaged pan with non-stick repair spray.
- The entire surface of the Calphalon pan should be sprayed, and let sit for 30-45minutes.
- Place pan in the preheated oven for 30-45minutes
- Remove and allow to cool
- Wash thoroughly
Calphalon is a hard-anodized and non-stick pan, it is highly durable.
Non-stick cookware is a desire of many, this is because it requires less oil to cook certain food, food doesn’t stick on it, and is very easy to wash.
It requires conscious efforts to maintain the cookware and prolong its use.